Bronze Planters, London

Bespoke bronze planters with inlaid brass details at the corner of Jermyn and Regent Street, as part of the Crown Estate’s multi-million-pound St James’s redevelopment project.

Back to Our Work >

About the project

The Crown Estate is one of the UK’s largest property managers, overseeing land and buildings worth around £12 billion on behalf of HM The Queen. As part of its multi-million-pound redevelopment of St James’s, we were commissioned to make a set of nine planters for the corner of Jermyn and Regent Streets. The Crown Estate is a longstanding client, and we know only perfection will do.   

The planters were made in 3mm patinated bronze. To achieve clean edges on the relief detail, we made the front panels in 15 separate parts, expertly welded to produce a solid, seamless finish. The contrasting brass strips were inlaid in channels: the horizontal bars form a perfectly straight line when viewed along the street; the verticals align to the millimetre with the window mullions above. 

Each planter contains 12 stainless steel liners, which can be lifted out manually so they can be replanted off-site: each is bolted in place with concealed fixings to prevent theft. 

Like many of our projects, these planters look simple, but they include a huge amount of detail, technical ingenuity and exceptional fabrication skills. Most companies could achieve 80% of what we do: it’s the other 20% - the part no one else could or would dare to attempt – that interests us. 

About the project

The Crown Estate is one of the UK’s largest property managers, overseeing land and buildings worth around £12 billion on behalf of HM The Queen. As part of its multi-million-pound redevelopment of St James’s, we were commissioned to make a set of nine planters for the corner of Jermyn and Regent Streets. The Crown Estate is a longstanding client, and we know only perfection will do.   

The planters were made in 3mm patinated bronze. To achieve clean edges on the relief detail, we made the front panels in 15 separate parts, expertly welded to produce a solid, seamless finish. The contrasting brass strips were inlaid in channels: the horizontal bars form a perfectly straight line when viewed along the street; the verticals align to the millimetre with the window mullions above. 

Each planter contains 12 stainless steel liners, which can be lifted out manually so they can be replanted off-site: each is bolted in place with concealed fixings to prevent theft. 

Like many of our projects, these planters look simple, but they include a huge amount of detail, technical ingenuity and exceptional fabrication skills. Most companies could achieve 80% of what we do: it’s the other 20% - the part no one else could or would dare to attempt – that interests us. 

Location
Jermyn Street, London

Client
The Crown Estate

Consultants
Atkins Global

Call us on 01903 716960 for a quote on a similar project you may have